Thursday 27 September 2012

Thursday 27th September 2012 - Comparing.... It Sucks !!!!

OK I know I haven’t been on here for a couple of weeks, but work and life have certainly got in the way of quality computer time J
So please forgive me.
In the last couple of weeks we’ve had some ups and down and some “nothings”, after a massive, sorry MASSIVE weekend, the weight went up a bit, then dropped again the following week and this week narda, zip, zero change which does actually surprise me. I’ve been hitting the training hard and although I did have some planned drinks on Saturday night I certainly compensated for it in training and nutrition so I could relax and enjoy the drinks. Although it’s pretty disheartening having to put up with plateus I have a big weekend planned this weekend for the AFL Grand Final– Go Swannies J So again I’ll be dedicated and over compensate with nutrition and training, and basically just see what happens next week. I’m certainly not going to put my entire life on hold. Body for life, not life for body J
Now fitness test – OK I was suppose to do it last week and haven’t…. have I mentioned how much I hate fitness tests ??? but I will I promise and will up date those statistics asap….. well as soon as I pull my finger out and go out in the heat and run like a demented demon for 4min….Anyway, must be done…. Grumble grumble grumble…
NOW – what did I say we would focus on ???
OH !! – comparing yourself to others doing a program (12wbt specifically).
Now this is going to be full of clichés and information that you already know, but hey sometimes we need a reminder.
Every BODY is different. There are 3 main body types X Y and Z – now X’s
On top of this we all have different metabolisms, different environmental factors, different ways our bodies deal with food/training etc etc…. I know for me, when I’m stressed out I do not lose weight at all no matter what I do. My old trainer told me it was due to the chemical effects that my stressing brought on, essentially the release of cortisol (I won’t go into the how’s and why’s of cortisol and it’s effect on weight loss but it’s quite interesting, google is your friend or have a look here http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=53304)
Other items that effect weight loss and the such.
¨ How much weight in total you have to lose. Someone who is near their goal weight will find it much much harder to lose a kilo than someone with a longer way to go.
¨ Age –as we age, our metabolism slows
¨ Certain medications can effect your weight loss.
¨ Sex –as in male vs female…. Come on now…… but men usually have more muscle and less fat than women, hence they burn more energy
¨ Your genetic make up, some people just have a slower Basal Metabolic Rate than others. Simple as that.
¨ Your body signals eg how hungry or full you feel (essentially effecting how much you eat)
So as you can see by just these few examples just because Jane Doe lost 2kg this week doesn’t mean that although you are doing the same nutrition and training plan that you will as well….. AND THAT’S OK J
Essentially focus on HOW YOU FEEL, do you feel better? Healthier? Are your clothes fitting better? Are the stairs as hard to get up? Are you carrying more shopping from the car into the house? Keeping up with the kids better? Do you simply have more energy? Etc etc and so on. There’s more to a healthy lifestyle than a number on a set of scales (which changes depending on what scales you are on anyway !!!!) The scales are simply a guide. Not gospel.
Take it easy on yourself, and although sometimes it is really hard to stay motivated when Jane Doe is losing bucket loads of weight and your journey is a little slower, stop breathe and remember that your are special, some people haven’t done a nutrition or training plan before, and your healthy surely must out weight a number…. Surely.
Hang in there and be nice to yourself, think of all the positives J
Till next time
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment